Published: Sun, April 29, 2018
Health Care | By Terrence Lopez

Alfie Evans dies, after a week without vital support

Alfie Evans dies, after a week without vital support

The parents of a terminally ill British toddler say they are heartbroken while announcing that their son, Alfie Evans, has died.

Alfie Evans, the 23-month-old British toddler whose parents' struggle with hospital authorities has drawn global attention, has died.

"Our baby boy grew his wings tonight at 2:30 am".

"Our hearts are broken".

In this April 23, 2018 handout photo provided by Alfies Army Official, brain-damaged toddler Alfie Evans cuddles his mother Kate James at Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool, England. But his parents fought for months to try to convince judges to allow them to take him to Vatican hospital, where life support would be maintained.

The hospital issued a statement Saturday expressing its "heartfelt sympathy and condolences to Alfie's family at this extremely distressing time". "This has been a devastating journey for them and we would ask that their privacy and the privacy of staff at Alder Hey is respected".

James, 20, posted a message on social media thanking everyone who supported the family through Alfie's illness and court fight. "Today I pray especially for his parents, as God the Father receives him in his tender embrace", the pontiff wrote on his Twitter account.

Pope Francis tweeted he was "deeply moved" to learn Alfie had died. Pope Francis personally met with Thomas Evans.

Evans was born on May 9, 2016 and was first taken to hospital in December of that year after suffering seizures.

Evans died on Saturday after doctors withdrew life support.

"I wish to repeat and strongly confirm that the only master of life from the beginning until the natural end is God".

Under British law, courts are asked to intervene when parents and doctors disagree on the treatment of a child.

The hospital said that further attempts to treat the child are meaningless and, indeed, inhumane.

On Thursday, Evans thanked supporters but asked them "to go home" so the parents could build a relationship with the hospital to provide the toddler "with the dignity and comfort he needs". His parents also demanded from the authorities not to disconnect the child from life support.

The incident itself has caused incredible amounts of public outrage and campaigning for better treatment, with the hospital staff reportedly shocked after countless acts of abuse towards them.

The pope's tweets about the boy drew significant attention, prompting comparisons to Charlie Gard, a British baby who died previous year despite his parents' fight - with the expressed support of Pope Francis and President Donald Trump - to keep him on life support.

Like this: