Published: Wed, May 16, 2018
World Media | By Cesar Oliver

Reportedly Has Suspect In Biggest CIA Leak Ever, But No Charges

Reportedly Has Suspect In Biggest CIA Leak Ever, But No Charges

However six months later in August, instead of charging him for the Vault 7 leak, USA prosecutors indicted him on unrelated child pornography charges.

Assistant US attorney Matthew Laroche alluded to a "broader investigation" and a grand jury probe unrelated to child pornography charges as he informed a Manhattan judge last Friday that the government was hopeful it would bring new charges against 29-year-old Joshua Adam Schulte in about a month and a half. He quit the spy agency in 2016 to work in the private sector.

Despite searching the suspect's NY apartment, prosecutors say they now lack the evidence to charge Schulte.

Interesting that they can't get charges for the leak against him, even though he has been in a Manhattan jail since September for the child pornography charges.

At a January hearing, Laroche said Schulte was a target of an ongoing investigation into the theft of tools that were used by the Central Intelligence Agency to spy overseas.

But the Federal Bureau of Investigation cited IRC chats between Schulte and others in which he allegedly indicated that he knew about the types of illegal material that were being stored on his server.

Schulte was released on the condition that he not leave the Big Apple and don't use computers.

Former CIA engineer, 29, facing a child pornography charge is also suspected of leaking devastating secret agency documents to Wikileaks

A government prosecutor disagreed with what he called the "characterization" by Schulte's attorney that "those search warrants haven't yielded anything that is consistent with [Schulte's] involvement in that disclosure". "Virginia just didn't do anything in this case".

It's unclear why Schulte has not been charged or cleared in the breach. However, the Times reports that prosecutors plan to file a new indictment within 45 days.

He is suspected of passing classified information to the WikiLeaks website.

But at Schulte's January detention hearing, Kaplan signaled his and his client's frustration with the investigation. The government immediately had enough evidence to establish that he was a target of that investigation.

At the same hearing, prosecutors argued that Schulte should be returned to custody because federal monitoring showed his Gmail account had been accessed. The anti-secrecy group published the code under the label "Vault 7" in March 2017. Many media companies have set up systems that use Tor, to enable people to more safely send tips or share information without being traced.

Asked for comment, Shroff said, "Schulte has spent years working to ensure the safety of his country and is deeply saddened to hear that he could face charges of espionage". "In fact, our investigation is ongoing", Laroche said.

Like this: