Published: Mon, August 06, 2018
Money | By Bruce West

Conor is back - UFC says McGregor will fight October 6

Conor is back - UFC says McGregor will fight October 6

McGregor, unquestionably the biggest star in MMA, will challenge lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov in the UFC 229 headliner October 6 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

This battle should be the most anticipated event of the year and will be part of UFC 229.

The "Notorious" has not fought in the UFC since November 2016, when he beat Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title and became the first fighter to hold two titles simultaneously.

McGregor had made his professional boxing debut past year where he fought superstar Floyd Mayweather in what was considered one of the biggest crossover bout.

Nurmagomedov (26-0) proceeded to overwhelm Al Iaquinta in Brooklyn to capture the lightweight belt that the UFC had stripped from McGregor. Last month he was sentenced to five days of community service in the United States after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct.

McGregor and his entourage stormed the Barclays Center loading dock and the Irishman threw a dolly through the bus window in search of Nurmagomedov. "This is going to be one of the greatest fights you've ever seen".

Our two-year patience, however, is about to be rewarded - because Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov really is a flawless fight. "For Khabib, who is undefeated and who is looked at as one of the best fighters in the world, beating Conor is massive for him". The decision to strip McGregor (21-3) of his crown did not go down well and ill-feeling between the fighters escalated in the week leading up to Nurmagomedov becoming champion.

McGregor himself has said recently that he would prefer to fight in Madison Square Gardens again, but conceded that he believed his next fight would be in Las Vegas.

Those include a September 8 pay-per-view card in Dallas headlined by the Tyron Woodley-Darren Till welterweight title fight and a December 29 card in Las Vegas likely to feature a fight between women's champions Cris Cyborg and Amanda Nunes, although negotiations continue.

As it played, Diaz abruptly left the presser he was at and tweeted "I'm not fighting on that show (expletive) the UFC".

Like this: