Published: Sun, October 07, 2018
World Media | By Cesar Oliver

Power restored to Indonesian quake city, but fate of thousands unknown

Power restored to Indonesian quake city, but fate of thousands unknown

Authorities say over 100 people are still unaccounted for.

An natural disaster with a 7.5 magnitude struck Sulawesi on Friday, 28 September; almost 30 minutes later, waves six metres high hit the town of Pula as a tsunami raged through.

The State Disaster Agency warned people to stay at least 4km away, but said there was no need to evacuate for the time being.

An aerial view of evacuation process near a collapsed church after an quake in Sigi, south of Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, October 4, 2018 in this photo taken by Antara Foto.

"I understand that they need food, but they should have been able to provide themselves with food since their area was not destroyed by the quake", said Ali.

A week on from the disaster in Indonesia's Sulawesi some roads remain impassable, detritus is scattered everywhere and terrified people are sleeping outside for fear of further quakes. Desperate search efforts for survivors continued on Wednesday.

The rescuers, using sniffer dogs and scanners, had detected what they believed was a person under mounds of rubble the previous evening but when they resumed the hunt early Friday, any signs of life had disappeared.

According to the Indonesia's NationalAgency for Disaster Management (BNPB), the death toll had risen to 1,517 people as at 6 pm yesterday. Electricity has been restored and some shops and banks have reopened and aid and fuel are arriving.

The province's only airport serving flights to Palu was not operating normally as part of its runway was cracked by the strong natural disaster that made it only capable of serving propeller planes, instead of large cargo aids deliverer planes.

But the death toll, now above 1,500 hundred is still expected to climb.

Haq told reporters at United Nations headquarters in NY that water is the main issue because most of the water supply infrastructure has been damaged.

Vice President Jusuf Kalla, visiting the disaster zone, said recovery would be completed in two years, beginning with a two-month emergency response phase when everyone who lost their house would get temporary shelter. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo said security was being ramped up to ensure law and order after 92 people were arrested for looting goods such as motor oil, tires and farming equipment. "Indonesians have a big heart".

The improvements are helping with the aid effort.

Worldwide aid is beginning to arrive, including supplies from Britain and Australia, after the government overcame a traditional reluctance to accept help from overseas.

In 2004, a quake off Sumatra island triggered a tsunami across the Indian Ocean that killed 226,000 people in 13 countries, including more than 120,000 in Indonesia.

Like this: