Published: Fri, November 16, 2018
Money | By Bruce West

Camp Fire Death Toll Grows to 63, More Than 600 Still Missing

Camp Fire Death Toll Grows to 63, More Than 600 Still Missing

The search for victims of a catastrophic blaze that reduced a northern California town to ashes has intensified as authorities posted an expanded list of almost 600 people reported missing in the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in California history. Another three people died in a fire in Southern California.

The utility was found to be responsible for several devastating fires in northern California last fall that killed at least 15 people, and it faces billions of dollars in liability for the latest wildfires.

The number of missing doubled to 631, after authorities earlier put the number closer to 300.

The higher confirmed death toll, and rising number of people classified as unaccounted for, were revealed at an evening news briefing by Honea, who said the remains of seven more Camp Fire victims had been located since the previous tally of 56 was announced on Wednesday.

Firefighting efforts have made progress in recent days, with the fire 52 percent contained.

The US President Donald Trump is due to visit fire-affected parts of the state at the weekend where he's likely to get a frosty reception.

A Washington State firefighter who was part of the Woolsey Fire response was airlifted Thursday to Thousand Oaks after being struck by a vehicle in Malibu.

At least 59 deaths have been reported so far from the sprawling blazes in northern and southern California and the toll is expected to rise as body recovery teams with sniffer dogs conduct searches.

Sheriff Kory Honea asked relatives of the missing to provide DNA to compare against samples taken from recovered remains to help identify the dead. One body in Paradise was found in a vehicle that had been flipped on its side.

Nicole said she fled once her home's mailbox caught fire and neighbors' propane tanks began exploding. Many can not be with us today because they are fighting to protect their property and homes and they simply can not get out as they fight to survive without water, electricity, food, gas and, in some cases, shelter.

Authorities developed an evacuation plan that split the town of 27,000 into zones and called for a staggered exodus. Almost 12,000 buildings have been destroyed.

Like this: