Published: Wed, November 07, 2018
World Media | By Cesar Oliver

Saudis sent experts to remove evidence of Khashoggi's killing, Turkey says

Saudis sent experts to remove evidence of Khashoggi's killing, Turkey says

Members of a team from Saudi Arabia sent to help Turkish authorities investigate the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi worked instead to remove evidence of the slaying, a senior Turkish official said Monday.

But Cavusoglu said it is clear that a 15-man team alleged to have traveled to Turkey to act as a hit squad would not have taken such action on their own, and that investigators need to find who would have given that order. The two men traveled to Turkey for the sole objective of covering up evidence of the killing before Turkish police were allowed to search the premises, the official said.

Saudi officials initially insisted Khashoggi had left the consulate, then said he died in an unplanned "rogue operation".

Five months after quitting the U.N.'s top human rights body, the United States has resurfaced at a Human Rights Council venue - calling for a "thorough, conclusive and transparent" investigation into the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Trudeau's Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said that Canada views the Saudi regime's explanations about Khashoggi's death as "not consistent", "not coherent" and "not credible".

The kingdom's public prosecutor, Saud al-Mojeb, later said that the journalist was killed in a premeditated attack. The government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has tried to prod Saudi leaders to acknowledge what he says is their role in the death.

The Boycott Amazon and Souq.com online campaign was launched by Saudi social media users over what they see as the newspaper's biased coverage of the death of Khashoggi, who worked as a contributor for the Washington Post.

The joint Turkish and Saudi probe into Khashoggi's fate has made little progress so far.

"As regards the passing of citizen Khashoggi, our country is committed to carrying out a fair investigation and all persons involved with that crime will be prosecuted in the justice system", he said.

Meanwhile, two of Mr Khashoggi's sons appealed for his remains to be returned so that he may be buried in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia first denied any knowledge of Khashoggi's whereabouts, eventually acknowledging his death 17 days after he went missing.

King Salman of Saudi Arabia was due to embark on an unusual tour of his country on Tuesday, as the kingdom's worldwide reputation continued to be buffered by the fallout from the killing of Jamal Khashoggi.

Turkey's chief prosecutor said last week that Khashoggi's body was dismembered after he was strangled.

Salah and Abdullah Khashoggi, who described their father as "courageous, generous and very fearless", said they have suffered weeks of agony and uncertainty following his disappearance and death. His brother, Salah, added: "I talked about that with the Saudi authorities and I just hope that it happens soon".

Like this: